MAIN ORGANIZER(S): World Mayors Council on Climate Change Secretariat
Type: Meeting or Conference Date: 03 - 05 Jun 2011 Location: Germany (Bonn)
The Mayors Adaptation Forum 2011 (MAF) is convened by the World Mayors Council on Climate Change, in collaboration with the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction and ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability. It forms the Mayors segment of the Resilient Cities 2011 congress (4-5 June 2011). Elaborating on top of the technical discussions, local decision-makers back the congress with their political leadership.
The 2011 Forum focuses on:
- governance for effective urban adaptation
- financing urban adaptation
- progress review of the Making Cities Resilient campaign of the United Nations launched at the Mayors Adaptation Forum 2010
- implementation of the Global Cities Covenant on Climate (Mexico City Pact) and its innovative mechanism, the carbonn Cities Climate Registry (cCCR), with a specific focus on adaptation actions
- connecting Mayors and Governors to high-level experts of the UNFCCC Nairobi Work Programme
Participation to the forum is an outstanding opportunity for mayors and governors to demonstrate collectively and globally local leadership on climate resilience. The Forum is a space to connect local leaders to the highest representatives of multilateral institutions dealing with adaptation. The outcomes of the Forum will be directly conveyed to the climate negotiators present at the June 2011 session of UN climate talks in Bonn scheduled immediately after the Resilient Cities congress.
The forum will conclude with the annual Bonn Declaration of Mayors Adaptation Forum.
In 2010, for its first edition, the forum drew more than twenty local decision-makers from five continents.
As concrete outcomes, the forum released the 2010 Bonn Declaration and paved the way toward the World Mayors Summit on Climate 2010 in Mexico City.
Short URL: http://www.preventionweb.net/go/16930