The 4th annual international workshop & expo on the Sumatra tsunami disaster & recovery is being held in commemoration of the 5th anniversary of the tragedy of the century.
As the rehabilitation and reconstruction of the 2004 tsunami-devastated regions continues, questions remain on how this rebuilding effort contributes to building disaster-resilient communities and better environment as well as preserving the legacy of the worst natural disaster of the century for future generations. Coming into its 4th year, this international workshop brings together experts, researchers, policy makers, and practitioners from around the world sharing their knowledge and experiences that improve earthquake and tsunami disaster management strategies thereby reducing risks in tsunami-prone regions.
This workshop is organized by the Tsunami and Disaster Mitigation Research Center (TDMRC), Syiah Kuala University, Banda Aceh, Indonesia, in cooperation with Kobe University, Japan, and will be held at the Hermes Palace Hotel Banda Aceh on November 23-25, 2009. The programs will include plenary addresses, presentations and expo.
Keynote Speakers (tentative):
* Governor Irwandi Yusuf (Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam, Indonesia),
* United Nation-International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (Name to be determined),
* Prof. Yasuo Tanaka (Kobe University, Japan),
* Dr. Syamsul Ma’arif (National Agency for Disaster Management, Indonesia).
Topics Include but not Limited to:
* Review of Recoveries in Tsunami-Affected Countries
* Early Warning Systems
* Geotechnical and Hydrodynamical Modeling
* Disaster Risk Reduction & Management
* Disaster Preparedness & Education
* Community-Based Disaster Risk Management
* Environmental Management
* Geohazard / Georisk DataBase Development
* Climate Change
* Disasters and Food Security
* GIS & Remote Sensing in DRR
* Medical Service and Nursing in DRR
Prospective authors are invited to submit a one page abstract of not more than 500 words in English outlining the scope of their paper and the important points they believe would benefit the interested readers.
Abstracts and full papers (camera ready) should be submitted to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for Abstract Submission: August 19, 2009
Notification of Abstract Acceptance: August 31, 2009
Deadline for Full Paper Submission: October 30, 2009
Workshop Date: November 23-24, 2009
International Participant: USD 100 (Spouse: USD 50) * Local Participant: IDR 200.000 (Spouse: IDR 100.000) * Local Faculty Member/Teacher: IDR 50.000 * Student: IDR 25.000
Registration fees include lunch, snacks, a workshop kit, and
certificate of participation
Related events & Fees (Tentative):
* Tsunami Tour (November 25, 2009) : IDR 100.000 / person
* Historic Aceh Tour (November 25, 2009) : IDR 150.000 / Person
* Welcome Dinner & Cultural Evening : Free of charge
All payments are due on November 23, 2009, at the On-Site Registration Desk.
For further inquiries, please contact:
Tsunami and Disaster Mitigation Research Center (TDMRC)
e-mail : email@example.com
Phone#: +62 651 7555577.
Fax#: +62 651 7555578
Tag This Document