- Type: Meeting or Conference
- Date: 22-23 May 2008
- Location: Spain (Barcelona)
- Language: English
A Consultative Meeting for developing the LGA/DRR was held in Barcelona, Spain, on 22-23 May 2008. The meeting was attended by some 15 representatives of local and regional authorities from Africa, Asia, Europe and the United States, as well as from UN agencies, NGOs and the academia.
The meeting served as a reality check and a brainstorming session to obtain preliminary feedback on a proposal to develop the LGA/DRR. Based on the draft Concept Note prepared by the UN/ISDR secretariat, the meeting stimulated a constructive debate around the potential scope, objectives and added value of the Alliance.
Substantive comments and observations on the LGA/DRR concept were put forward, and initial commitment to the Alliance reached. Next steps and follow-up actions were also discussed and agreed upon, in the lead-up to the next session of the GP/DRR in June 2009.
A broader meeting will be organized in the coming months, to which additional partners - including a broader range of local governments and city associations - will be invited to participate. The meeting was co-organized by the UN/ISDR secretariat, the UNDP Special Unit for South-South Collaboration, and the Advisory Council for Sustainable Development of the Government of Catalonia.
- Concept paper: Building a Local Government Alliance for DRR [PDF 170.46 KB]
- Meeting report [PDF 194.06 KB]
- Final agenda [PDF 239.34 KB]
- Final list of participants [PDF 84.10 KB]
- Space technology as a tool to facilitate sustainable development planning, UNOSAT - Mr. Alain Retière [PDF 17.68 MB]
- Overstrand Municipality, Western Cape Province, South Africa - Mr. Stephen Muller [PDF 14.19 MB]
- National Institute of Disaster Management, India - Mr. Santosh Kumar [PDF 6.80 MB]
- Presentation and review of main points emerged from discussions on day 1 - Ms. Zenaida Willison [PPT 13.78 MB]
- The International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM) - Ms. Pamela L'Heureux [PPT 840.00 KB]
- Albay Public Safety & Emergency Management Office, Philippines - Mr. Cedric Daep [PPT 215.00 KB]
- Re-centering the rural agenda - Mr. Sam Ebukali [PPT 989.00 KB]
- Background and rationale for building a “Local Government Alliance for DRR”, UN/ISDR - Mr. Michele Cocchiglia [PPT 2.62 MB]
- Lessons learned from the development of previous government networks/alliances, UNDP/SU-SSC - [PPT 495.00 KB]
- Pune Municipal Corporation, India - Ms. Rajlaxmi Bhosale [PPT 1.52 MB]
- Implementing the Hyogo Framework for Action at the local level, ILO/Delnet - Ms. Alice Vozza [PPT 3.56 MB]
- Partnerships between regions and the United Nations, UNDP Geneva - Mr. Christophe Nuttall [PPT 374.50 KB]
- RiskCat Project, University of Barcelona - Mr. Joan Manuel Vilaplana [PPT 385.50 KB]
- Civil Protection Office, Government of Catalonia, Spain - Ms. Nuria Gasulla [PDF 645.33 KB]
- Themes:Civil Society/NGOs, Governance
- Countries/Regions:Europe, Spain