- Type: Meeting or Conference
- Date: 22-23 May 2014
- Location: New Zealand, Auckland
- Venue: Heritage Hotel, 35 Hobson Street, Auckland Central
An Auckland Council-sponsored disaster communication conference will be held in Auckland in May.
Attendees will hear some of the world’s leading disaster communications professionals, including Denis McLean, Chief of Communications for the UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, discuss their experiences and give advice and tips on how to lead the community through a disaster.
Auckland Council is working with Australian not-for-profit group Emergency Media and Public Affairs (EMPA) to bring the conference to New Zealand for the first time.
Any proceeds will be channelled into research on communicating more effectively with communities during emergencies and in recovery.
Keynote speakers include:
- Bob Jensen, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs, Department of Homeland Security, Washington DC. Bob will update the conference on the aftermath of the latest disaster response campaigns in the US.
- Denis McLean, Chief, Communications Branch, UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, Geneva. Denis is returning from deployment in the Philippines.
- Mark Crosweller, Director-General, Emergency Management Australia. Mark is renowned for his insights into all aspects of response and recovery.
- John Hamilton, Director, Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management. Formerly a senior commander in the Royal NZ Air Force, John has been national controller of emergency response since the 2011 Christchurch earthquakes.
- David Morgan, Chief Pilot, Air New Zealand.
The two-day programme also includes:
- A ‘fast five’ session with some of New Zealand’s most experienced public information managers sharing their top tips for communicating in emergencies
- Communicating in recovery
- Interactive panel discussions
What is included in the event fee
- Two days of regular sessions
- Coffee breaks and lunch
- Conference dinner and entertainment
- Communications and emergency services professionals
- Response and recovery agencies
- Public information and emergency managers
- Editors and journalists
- Social media practitioners
How to register
- Themes:Disaster Risk Management, Media, Recovery
- Countries/Regions:New Zealand