This workshop in Lebanon aims at building the capacities of local government officials from 64 municipalities and 8 unions of municipalities from all Governorates and Cazas of Lebanon that committed to the Making Cities Resilient Campaign, as well as 11 MoIM trainers, in order to equip them with the necessary knowledge and tools to train municipalities on the integration of disaster risk reduction in city planning and local development.
The participating local governments were selected by the MoIM Director General, and include large cities as well as a sample of unions and municipalities from all regions of Lebanon. Two representatives from each of the local governments will be selected, preferably municipalities’ staff with technical expertise and/or planning background. These will be expected to train the municipalities’ staff on DRR, as well as conduct the self-assessment for disaster resilience.
The workshop will also serve as basis for the unions’ representatives and MoIM trainers for the further training of municipalities on DRR in all regions of the country.
The specific objectives of the TOT are as follows:
- Establish a common understanding among a sample of municipalities, unions, and MoIM trainers on DRR;
- Promoting the World Disaster Reduction Campaign on Making Cities Resilient and facilitate exchanges of good practices with other Cities around the globe;
- Building the capacity of local representatives and trainers on tools that will help municipalities to implement the Ten essentials for making cities resilient;
- Establishing mechanisms of follow-up between UNISDR and UNDP on one hand, and the municipalities on the other, in order to compile data from the LG-SAT;
- Exploring steps forward with the MoIM focal points for expansion of the training to municipalities across Lebanon.
- Introducing the National Disaster Loss Database including establishing mechanisms of follow up between UNDP and the municipalities in order to compile data cards for the national disaster loss database
Targeting mainly Lebanese cities and municipalities in addition to few others from the Arab Region.
Tag This Document