Spice it up! Sing for Preparedness is a National Song Competition by the Disaster Management Project of the Grenada Red Cross Society. It aims at raising awareness on issues surrounding climate change and disasters through the mobilisation of cultural creativity, while promoting volunteerism in disaster management. It also represents an opportunity to promote local talents on the national and the regional scene.
How it works
• Fifteen instrumentals covering various popular styles produced by local and international artists are made available for download on the website.
• Participants are asked to write a song about disasters or climate change, and post their demo. Deadline for the submission of songs is Friday, 1st June, 2012
• A jury made of Disaster Management Specialist and recognized artists selects the 10 best demos.
• The participants selected are given the opportunity to present their song during a public live concert. The winners are elected by decision of both the jury (made of disaster management specialists and professional musicians) and the public.
• The 3 best songs obtain a prize, while the 5 best songs from each country are recorded inl studio, and published on a CD (about 1500 copies). Copies of the CD are distributed regionally among medias, schools disaster management agencies and Red Cross local branches.
The final contest takes place as part of a national awareness day on the 23rd of June 2012, for the beginning of the hurricane season. It will include:
• Disaster and climate change information booths
• Booths for businesses selling disaster related items
• Presentation of posters and billboards created by students
• Live presentation of the songs composed by students as part of the CDM youth competition
• Final song competition
• Health booths
• Games for children
The competition is opened to everyone, without limitation.
Deadline for the submission of songs is Friday, 1st June, 2012
Tag This Document