With its commitments and the plural support from development partners, ECCAS since 2009 is gradually integrating the activities of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) in its programs through technical assistance and facilitation of the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) Regional Office for Africa, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) and many other partners in the system.
It is in this extension that the ECCAS and the Africa Union Commission have committed themselves with the support of the UNISDR to organize a regional training course on the system, the basic concepts and policies in risks and disaster management for Disaster Risks Reduction (DRR) National Focal Points (NFP) and Experts, and other stakeholders for the purpose of enabling them to better address a regional strategy on DRR and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) for Central Africa.
More specifically, the objectives of the workshop are
- To let the NFP and experts from 10 countries of ECCAS to improve their knowledge to address the proposed DRR and CCA draft regional strategy;
- To inform on the basic knowledge on the concept of capacity, risk and vulnerability;
- To help national experts to acquire knowledge for advocacy on the need to increase investment in the DRR, the CCA and in others sectors of the system;
- To exchange on the major risks and border related climatic hazards;
- To facilitate regional and national synergy among partners.
At the end of the workshop, the participants are expected to
• Have knowledge increased;
• Globally understand hazards, vulnerability, capacity and risks in Central Africa;
• Provision of basic elements for developing a strategy on regional;
• Be provided with expertise for joint risk, vulnerability and capacity assessment;
• Exchange expertise and knowledge;
• Interact among sectors for an added value to various international conventions and commitments.
The main objective of the workshop is to strengthen the capacity of national experts for the development and implementation of a DRR national and regional plan for an efficient mainstreaming of DRR in national and sub-regional projects, programs, work plans, strategies and development policies.
Through ECCAS members' state proposal
Tag This Document