International Day for Disaster Reduction will be marked at a special event organized at Europe House Georgia by UNICEF, in collaboration with the Government of Georgia, European Commission Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO) and Caucasus Environmental NGO Network (CENN).
The primary emphasis during the event will be placed on presenting the key achievements made in the education sector of Georgia in ensuring the safety and resilience of children and communities towards disasters.
The major achievements include: incorporation of disaster risk reduction in the National Curriculum, introduction of the Civil Protection and Safety subject and the Head of Class Hour Program for grades V-IX, development of the first time ever national educational web-portal on disaster risk reduction for all target groups and piloting of disaster preparedness activities at the school level.
The International Day for Disaster Reduction will also be marked with launching of the Children’s Charter for Disaster Risk Reduction – an action plan for disaster reduction by children for children. This way, Georgian children and youth will join their peers around the globe and will encourage adults to make a “Step Up” for disaster risk reduction.
- Official launch of the Head of Class Hour program for grades V-IX of public schools of Georgia
- Presentation of the national educational web-portal on disaster risk reduction
- Launch of the International Children’s Charter: an action plan for disaster risk reduction for children by children
- Mainstreaming disaster risk reduction in the education process in Georgia: key achievements of the DIPECHO project (video)
- Children’s presentations on disaster risk reduction in communities
- Exhibition of children’s artwork on climate change and disaster risk reduction
- Display of DRR publications and other visual materials developed by government organizations and NGOs
- “Riskland” game with participation of children and youth
Tag This Document