The main objective of the forum is to develop regional consensus climate outlook for the September to December 2011 rainfall season. It will also provide a regional interaction platform for the climate scientists and various users of climate early warning advisories. Further, the forum will review lessons / experiences from the use of the products provided in the previous regional climate outlook forums.
• Coping with climate variability and adaptation to climate change in the Greater Horn of Africa by reducing disaster risks: UNISDR.
• IGAD Disaster risk reduction strategy: IGAD
• Disaster risk reduction and National Development, Experience from Uganda
• Climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction in the Greater Horn of Africa
• Facing the future differently in coping with climate extremes and disaster risk reduction
• Lessons and Experiences from Kenya Red Cross
• Development of mitigation strategies and way forward based on the released climate outlook (Agriculture and Food Security; Water resources; Disaster Risk Reduction and Conflict Early Warning; Socio-economic; Health; Media, Gender, AfricaAdapt Meet and Greet etc).
Participants will include climate scientists from the National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs), universities, research institutions and regional and international organizations engaged in climate modeling, prediction and applications for the region. The users of climate information and prediction products from various socio-economic sectors such as Agriculture, Food security, Water resources, Hydropower generation, Health and Conflict prevention among others will also participate. Various regional and international Governmental and Non-Governmental organizations and the donor community will also be present.
Tag This Document