- Organization:All India Disaster Mitigation Institute (AIDMI)
- Author:Pathak, Vishal; Oza, Sanchit; Zimbalist, Zack; Patel, Manish.
- Year of publication:Unknown
- Country of publication:India
- Type:Newsletter (16 p.)
- Reading level estimate:Educational (secondary reading level)
- Educational usage:Extra-curricular/Informal
This issue of southasiadisasters.net on Safety Audit: First Step Towards Making Schools Safer is an example of practical review, evaluation and guidance that results from the shared interests of students, teachers, educational officials, and the wider interests of local community leaders. It synthesises the lessons, and sometimes oversights, of experience as it also provides further guidance for practical measures that can be pursued by communities to make schools safer. It speaks with an informed knowledge and seeks to motivate a wider commitment to making schools safer through recommendations, safety plan process and views of educators. The examples cited by the issue reflect the multiple approaches that contribute to bulding community resilience and which can successfully reduce disaster risks. This issue demonstrates many of the small, practical and cumulative steps that can be employed to create safer schools and communities.
- Scale of distribution: 5,000-10,000
- Strategy: Stand alone (general distribution), As part of training programme
- Community: Several provinces/states, Several cities
- Setting: Rural/Semi-rural, Urban/Suburban
- Recipients: Primary school children, Secondary school children, Post-secondary, vocational education students, Adults (general community, including parents), Disaster managers, professionals, government employees, Teachers or instructors
- Themes:Capacity Development, Civil Society/NGOs, Community-based DRR, Education & School Safety, Risk Identification & Assessment
- Hazards:Cyclone, Drought, Earthquake, Flood, Tsunami