ETH offers you a four-semester programme in Natural Hazards Management that is captured as «the big picture» on the right-hand side. Essentially, it is structured into modules aiming at providing basic skills, and modules aiming to help you to understand and manage natural hazards:
- Basic skills – refreshes you in probability and statistics as well as the main features of data acquisition and mapping, with a special emphasis on spatially explicit data.
- Understand – equips you with the skills to analyse hazards processes qualitatively and quantitatively, to analyse and model strain impacts on structures (e.g., buildings), and to analyse and model the consequences of hazard events (e.g., fatalities, injuries, economic costs).
- Manage – equips you with the skills to identify sound options to manage risk from natural hazards based on well-founded knowledge on preparedness concepts for coping with natural hazards, as well as on skills to characterize policies, institutions and customs that govern management decisions.
The programme is balanced between theory blocks, case studies, exercises and field excursions that are all taught in English. It is organized in four blocks of one week per semester. You will complete your programme with a MAS thesis.
The programme is ran the programme together with colleagues from the Network of Natural Hazards at ETH Zurich (HazNETH, www.hazneth.ethz.ch). The Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research (WSL, www.wsl.ch) contributes with expertise to equip you with field experience.
- Understanding hazard processes, structural safety, consequence analysis
- Manage preparedness concepts (prevent, protect, etc.), risk management
- Risk governance and policy
- Probability and statistics
- Data acquisition and mapping
Are you a professional in analyzing and/or managing natural hazards, but you have never had the opportunity to obtain a thorough overview on all aspects relevant to understanding and managing natural hazards? Do you want to acquire that knowledge and skills while you continue working in your job? Then, you should definitely consider applying for the MAS in Natural Hazards Management at ETH Zürich!
- Acknowledged university degree at Master’s level or equivalent achieved through working experience
- Good English skills (C1) in writing, understanding, reading and speaking
Centre for Continuing Education
or, directly contact
Tel. +41 44 632 56 59
Please see www.mas.nathaz.ethz.ch
10 Apr 2012
Tag This Document