This comprehensive national policy addresses the rationale for emergency planning for schools:
• National level school planning, preparedness, and emergency response and multi-sectoral representation in planning.
• School level emergency response and planning provides guidelines for management, planning/intelligence, operations, logistics and finance/administration. It also guides the site-based emergency planning committee in membership, structure, roles and responsibilities.
• Hazard and risk assessment covers structural =and non-structural hazards and emergency resources.
• Preparedness and emergency response addresses the type and level of emergency, determining immediate response actions including: duck and cover, shelter –in-place, evacuate building, off-site evacuation, shut-down and all-clear. Emergency procedures address: fire, explosion, flooding and sea swell, utilities failure, transportation accidents, earthquakes and tsunami.
• Implementing the School Emergency Operations Plan includes emergency drills for fire, earthquake, flood and tsunami.
• Appendices include a Sample School Emergency Operations Plan with sections for School Profile. Emergency Management, Hazard & Risk Assessment, Preparedness & Emergency Response, and Implementation Strategies.
The guide has been done in partnership with UNDP, the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) and the European Commission (EC).
Tag This Document