The UNDP Strategic Plan 2008-2011 positions capacity development as the organization’s core contribution to development. Working in 166 countries, UNDP is responding to the growing demand for capacity development support by helping governments, civil society and other partners to build the skills, knowledge and experience they need to improve peoples’ lives.
The Capacity Development Specialist will work under a matrix supervision arrangement whereby he/she will report to the DCD (P) on matters relating to ER cluster support, development of CD strategies for the Delta and capacity development within the HDI in general and to the Early Recovery Programme Manager with regard to the implementation of CD initiatives within the project. He/she will work towards identifying and strengthening the capacities of community level institutions (Early recovery committees, SRGs), local NGOs and Early Recovery Project staff in the Nargis affected areas of Myanmar.
The capacity building processes will pro-actively contribute to making staff members at different levels and community members capable to plan, design, implement, review and monitor activities in the different sectors of work. Cross cutting issues such as gender, vulnerability, coping and adaptation, HIV/AIDS and disaster risk reduction (DRR) will also be important areas for the capacity building process. The capacity development specialist works in close collaboration with early recovery project staff in the field, other UN Agencies, technical advisers and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to strategically position UNDP in the early recovery and to implement UNDP’s Early Recovery Programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key results:
Assess the key capacity needs of various stakeholders and take principal responsibility for final formulation of the draft UNDP capacity development strategy for the Early Recovery Programme.
Ensure effective management and implementation of the capacity development strategy and programme.
Establish and maintain partnerships with local and international NGOs as part UNDP’s overall capacity building efforts for the ER Programme, CBOs and NGOs.
Ensures provision of advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management, particularly with respect to the overall conceptualization and implementation of the UNDP Early Recovery Capacity Development Programme.
- Assess the key capacity needs of various stakeholders and take principal responsibility for final formulation of the draft UNDP capacity development strategy for the Early Recovery Programme.
- In consultation with stakeholders assess the key capacity needs of community based organizations such as Self Reliance Groups, Early Recovery Committees and Myanmar local NGOs.
- Based on the assessment, formulate and implement the capacity development strategy for the Early Recovery Programme in Myanmar.
- Identify training needs of project staff, LNGOs and CBOs and provide training and training of trainers in project planning, communication and facilitation skills, project cycle management, monitoring and evaluation, and other relevant technical areas required for effective and sustainable functioning and development.
- Undertake an analysis of the current implementation modalities to understand cross cutting issues; identify entry points to strengthen and mainstream cross-cutting issues including gender and environment.
- Effectively manage and train capacity development teams comprising of the field capacity building specialists and trainers including psychosocial support managers to ensure quality and effectiveness of capacity building activities, and thereby, the quality of programme implementation.
Contribute to and ensure effective management and implementation of the capacity development programme:
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the capacity development programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, and of capacity building expected outcomes in line with programme expectations;
- Effective application of results-based management (RBM) tools, establishment of output and outcome targets, and monitoring achievement of results;
- Ensure that implementation accords with UNDP policy guidelines and guidelines for the identification of beneficiaries;
Provide mentoring and technical guidance to field workers regarding how to effectively support the implementation of the capacity development strategy.
- Assist the ER team in developing capacity among local organizations to support effective livelihood rehabilitation and development, disaster risk reduction and other Early Recovery Programme initiatives, contributing to the scaling up successful activities.
- Provide technical oversight to smooth implementation of UNDP-assisted capacity development projects in Cyclone Nargis affected areas.
- Periodically update information identifying promising and successful projects, development of ongoing works, outstanding needs and gaps, and avoidance of overlaps and duplication.
- Coordinate monitoring tasks by UNDP teams in Yangon and affected Townships, analyzing findings, and providing feedback and recommendations for programme improvement.
- Contribute to regular reporting on outputs and outcomes and to donor reports.
- Follow up on audit recommendations.
- Establish and maintain strategic partnerships and support resource mobilization.
- Support the UNDP CO in developing local partnerships in the Nargis affected areas.
- Explore opportunities, assist in negotiating partnership agreements, and contribute, thereby, to expanding on results of the livelihoods programme by partnering with other implementing agencies and organizations, including local community organizations.
- Support local organizations contracted to assist UNDP’s Early Recovery Programme activities in the Nargis affected area with technical support, as required.
- Provide support and guidance for institutional development of emerging local organizations (above the village level) and NGOs to enable them to develop their vision, organizational effectiveness, financial management and accountability processes, networking, feedback and learning mechanisms.
- Seek to establish synergistic partnerships, and support coordination of such partnerships with other UN, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donor agencies, NGOs, the private sector and civil society in general.
- Ensure provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
- Support the UNDP Country Office in coordinating with UN Agencies and NGOs working on post disaster community recovery with a focus on capacity development.
- Identify sources of information, identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to the capacity development programme.
- Establish pro-poor advocacy networks at national level and link to international networks.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Undertake such assignments as may be instructed by the Project Manager
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead formulation of strategies and their implementation
- Ability to negotiate with donors and internal units; ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fund-raising
- Ability to plan and organize work programme
- Organizational and presentation skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Strong IT skills
- Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters Degree in Social Development, Rural Management or any related Development field
Experience and competencies:
- At least 5 years of practical experience in community development, particularly on capacity raising aspects.
- Proven project management skills; Work experience in Myanmar an asset; Experience in working in natural disaster-affected areas an asset;
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills;
- Strong inter-personal skills with ability to promote participation and team work;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.)
- Fluency in English required. Knowledge of local language an asset
- Prior experience of working with UN agencies and knowledge of UNDP systems and Results Based Management an asset.
ALD International. Start date: 1 June 2009
Tag This Document