UNDP Mission Statement
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. UNDP is on the ground in 166 countries, working with national counterparts on their own solutions to global and national development challenges.
Afghanistan is a land-locked country with a high frequency of natural hazards such as earthquakes, floods, drought, landslides, avalanches, sandstorms and cold winter. Earthquake particularly poses a significant threat across the country, but especially in the north-eastern area. The level of community capacity to cope with the impact of such hazards would have been problematic at best in most circumstances, but the events of the last thirty years on Afghanistan has left the population with extremely low coping capability;
UNDP, mandated by the UN General Assembly at its 52th Session, is the focal point for strengthening national capacities pertaining disaster mitigation, prevention and preparedness. Within this mandate, UNDP, along with other UN agencies and during the International Decade for Natural Disaster Reduction UNDP is mandated to advocate disaster risk reduction that helps human security and development. Therefore, UNDP developed a multi year Comprehensive Disaster Risk Reduction in the 1990s, worked towards encouraging countries to see the importance of proactive approach in disaster and disaster risk management. This approach provided the basis for the development of programmes to establish or strengthen national structures for sustainable disaster risk reduction through technical assistance and capacity building support. The World Conference on Disaster Reduction (Hyogo Japan, January 2005) produced a substantive Framework for Action 2005 – 2015;
In accordance with the Hyogo Framework for Action, UNDP developed a multi year Comprehensive Disaster Risk Reduction Project (CDRRP) for Afghanistan to assist Afghan government and Community to reduce disaster risks. UNDP CDRRP intervention consists of four components namely; (i) Capacity building and professional/organisational development. (ii) Strengthening community capacity. (iii) Strengthening risk information management system. (iv) Development of response systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
The Basic English/Computer Instructor will work under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, ECHO Component/CDRRP and under overall management of Programme Manager of CDRRP, and in close collaboration with the CDRRP team and ANDMA staff and contribute to achieving the following key results:
Summary of key functions:
- English Language training up to Advance II, focusing on achievements of the following results:
Compliance with the training materials adopted for the English Language;
The course should be completed in 6 months as the duration of the course is not flexible.
- Computer training, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
Teaching of MS.Office that includes MS.Word, MS.Excel, MS Power Point and MS Access;
Software installation and updating them regularly.
- Project Management Training, focusing on achievements of the following results:
Train ANDMA Zonal Office staff and the staff of governor’s office on project design, project implementation, project management, project life cycle and project monitoring and evaluation
- DMIS Training, focus on the achievements of the following results:
Train ANDMA staff on DMIS, as how to enter the data into the DMIS generate reports etc.
- Conduct skill survey of the government employees, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Assist in conduction of the skill survey of the Government employees;
Assist in planning the capacity building projects in Kunduz;
Give recommendation to the Project Coordinator, ECHO Component/CDRRP on the overall requirements of the department to improve their skills in English Language and Computer;
- Target trainees, focusing on the training of Zonal Staff of ANDMA and staff of governor office as directed.
Seven staff of ANDMA Zonal Office needs to be trained;
Staff of Governor’s Office including sectoral departments as requested by project coordinator.
- Perform any other tasks and responsibilities as required for the implementation of the project and requested by the supervisor.
- Reports on a regular basis to the Project Coordinator, ECHO Component of CDRRP
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience and provides helpful advice to others.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to provide quality trainings in English language and Computer;
- Ability to review training materials and identify any discrepancies and report it;
- Good knowledge of operating systems, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office;
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Management and Leadership:
- Focuses on results for the trainees and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches the work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- High School graduate with at least five years of relevant work experience (documentation will be required at time of written test).
- Both English and Computer teaching experience of 5 years;
- In depth understanding of the issues related to capacity development of government employees;
- Proven experience of working with private, government or NGO sector;
- Proven qualities in coaching, mentoring and team-work;
- Advanced computing skills and knowledge of spreadsheets is required; (competence will be tested prior to short-listing for interview);
- Advanced English Language skills and knowledge is required; (competence will be tested prior to short-listing for interview).
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. The candidate should be fully conversant in Pashto and Dari, and be able to explain to trainees in Pashto and Dari.
Tag This Document