To provide leadership in programme development and implementation. To ensure learning and sharing OXFAM wide of Latin America and Caribbean experiences in the area of Sustainable Livelihoods.
•Manages regional enterprise development coordinator, ANDE Central America and Mexico chapter coordinator, regional livelihood programme administrator, regional research project coordinator, regional linking small producers with local authorities project coordinator, regional livelihood project finance officer.
• Links to Oxfam International, Oxfam Great Britain, and wider networks on livelihood and agricultural markets, such as the food lab initiative and the GROW campaign.
• Management tasks are diverse and complex.
• Works in a matrix across regional programme managers, regional campaigns and communication managers and country directors.
• Helps shape organisational and divisional objectives.
• Draws from programme and external information sources to provide in depth analysis of the policy issues related to livelihoods work.
• Role as a key decision maker responsible for livelihoods work
• Budget holder and allocation of resources.
• Manages processes (and programmes) relating to policy and practice development within the team/region.
• Works to set team priorities within the context of the departmental/regional business plan.
• Advises senior management on technical issues.
• Problem-solving complexity includes people management and strategic management related to team specialism.
• External specialist information sources used, scientific journals, academic papers, and including interpretation of actual situations
• To lead on sustainable livelihoods for the region including supporting value chain project developed within broader alliances with other actors, including multi-national companies.
• To lead the sustainable livelihood learning network.
• To lead R&D and innovation on livelihood and markets in the region.
• To lead on the promotion of gender justice in market based livelihood.
• To coordinate with other advisors the adaptation and risk reduction work, with particular reference to long-term gradual Climate Change.
• Manages the regional livelihood programme.
• Responsible for developing private sector initiatives around livelihoods.
• Supports countries in their sustainable livelihoods work including in the joint country analysis.
• Links and supports learning between countries and regions.
• Links sustainable livelihoods work and make synergies to other advisors and the Oxfam international change processes, as well as with campaigns work.
• Plays a proactive role in linking and learning from others outside the organisation, including academy, private sector and government.
• Plays a key role in public policy development.
• Leads on enterprise development programme work
• Leads on the sustainable food laboratory, representing OXFAM in its advisory board.
• Plays a wider Oxfam Great Britain and Oxfam International role.
Skills and competence
• Relevant degree or equivalent proven experience in agricultural sciences, business, economics, politics or social sciences
• Ability to demonstrate strong conceptual and analytical abilities
• Strong people leadership and management ability
• Wide experience and knowledge of international agricultural and rural development
• Knowledge of the implications of climate change on livelihoods
• Strong knowledge and experience on women leadership and rights, particularly in the rural areas
• Knowledge and experience of key public policies on development affecting agriculture and rural development
• Knowledge of agricultural markets and market opportunities
• Commitment to small scale farmers participation
• Knowledge and experience of working with the private sector
• Good financial management, information systems and IT
• Fluency in written and spoken English and Spanish and to communicate with a variety of stakeholders (internal and external).
• French and/or Portuguese an advantage
• Knowledge of working in an international NGO environment
• Strategic thinking and analytical skills, good understanding of the socio-economic context in Latin America; with significant experience in developing/emerging economies in Latin America
• Excellent interpersonal skills & flexibility/creatively to work within a dynamic & sometimes unpredictable work environment, and across team and partners
• Excellent report writing skills, administrative experience and word-processing skills, including use of the internet, and the ability to organise, plan and prioritise work according to deadlines.
• Committed to gender equality and women’s rights
• Ability to influence others and facilitate change
Ability to undertake unaccompanied travel and operate away from working base in order to achieve objectives
Level: Global (B2)
Tag This Document