Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In 2010, we improved the lives of over 64 million children in need in the United States and around the world. Our goal is to reach more than 74 million children annually by the year 2012. Join our dedicated and diverse staff committed to improving the well-being of children.
The Disaster risk reduction (DRR) and climate change adaptation (CAA) specialist will provide technical support and direction to field offices in the expanding area of disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation. The specialist will work with Save the Children International Members, and travel to field sites to build staff capacity and develop proposals as well as support the emergency preparedness process at the country office level. The specialist should have a strong background in monitoring and evaluation for DRR.
• Provide technical support both at home office and country office levels
• Build staff capacity to integrate DRR/CAA into relevant sectors
• liaise with M&E staff and develop appropriate DRR indicators.
• Provide in-country and remote support to proposal development and design of DRR /CAA projects.
Monitoring and evaluation, accountability and learning:
• Build an evidence base of DRR through development of M&E approaches (tools, indicators) and document results
• support knowledge management projects around DRR and prepare reports on lessons learned.
Co-ordination and collaboration:
• Represent Save the Children at key external events and forums.
Advocacy and policy:
• Support the Public Policy and Advocacy team on issues related to DRR and produce papers as requested.
• BA and MA in Education, Livelihoods, International Relations, Risk Management (or equivalent)
• 5-7 years' of DRR or emergency/development related experience.
• 3-5 years' of M&E experience.
• 3 years' of proposal development experience.
• Proven experience in training and capacity building.
• Culturally sensitive; team player.
• Able to write well and fluently in English.
• Able to travel 60% of the time and be away for periods of up to 3 months at a time.
• Ability to speak French and/or Spanish.
• Strong ability to absorb ad contribute to theoretical models, frameworks on DRR.
Save the Children provides an attractive benefits package including competitive salaries, a matching retirement plan, health and welfare benefits, life insurance, an employee assistance program, generous time off and much more.
We are an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity.
Tag This Document