Uganda has witnessed increasing and highly devastating disasters, both climate and human-induced that exerted a significant human and economic toll on its population and which, to an extent affected the country’s ability to fully maximize the benefits from its economic growth and social development. The country remains vulnerable to a range of hazards that, if not prevented and/or mitigated, can result in disasters. To address this situation, the Government of Uganda (GoU) developed and approved a National Policy on Disaster Preparedness and Management in 2012 with the purpose of creating and promoting a disaster preparedness and management system that safeguards the country against disasters and ensures continued productive capacity of the people.
To respond to this challenge, the GoU in collaboration with UNDP is in the process of developing aprogramme dedicated to the strengthening of the capacity for disaster preparedness and humanitarian response, including mitigation of, and adaptation to, climate change and the provision of protection and other assistance to citizens and refugees affected by conflict or natural disasters. The programme entitled, ‘Strengthening Uganda’s Disaster Preparedness and Management Capacities’, will undertake this by strengthening the capacity of institutions to enhance community security and disaster risk reduction and establishing systems and mechanisms for disaster risk reduction.
To support the finalisation of the programme document, Strengthening Uganda’s Disaster Preparedness and Management Capacities, , the GoU in partnership with UNDP seeks to deploy - an International DRM Advisor for an initial period of twelve (12) months to undertake the following specific assignments;(1) finalization of the DRM project document; (2) development of the Uganda DRM strategic programme and investment framework (SPIF); and (3) oversight and overall coordination of the DRM programme initiation phase.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Team Leader Crisis Prevention and Recovery Unit (CPR), the DRR Analyst will be based at the UNDP CPR unit. He/she will contribute to the effective implementation, monitoring and reporting of project initiation plan by organizing on-going activities of the Programme components. Additionally, he/she analyzes political, social and economic trends and participates in the formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within a portfolio.
The PA works in close collaboration with the Country Office Programme Team, UNDP Crisis prevention and Recovery team and Operations teams, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff, DRR Advisor and consultants, OPM Government officials including other key stakeholders to ensure smooth project implementation and realisation of key Project initiation plan outputs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
Analysis and synthesis of proposals on the areas for support and interventions within the practice area specialization assigned.
Participates in effective management of the CO programme within the practice area specialization assigned focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Supports the design and formulation of some parts of CO programme within the DRM, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions.
- Supports the initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC), finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Programme Analyst performs functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval (if authorized by SM), participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Application of conceptual models in support of programme design
- Supports financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NEX projects.
- Preparation of inputs for reporting, including donor reporting.
- Support and ensure the realisation of project results.
Supports creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategyfocusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
Provides top quality advisory services to the Government andensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
supports organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
- Professional growth through active learning.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners including governement and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Required Skills and Experience
Masters Degree (MSc) in Business administration, Economics or International Development, or any other field related to risk management and economic management, gained from a reputable institution will be an added advantage.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web based management systems.
- Over two years of increasingly responsible development experience in Uganda with good knowledge of disaster risk management and risk reduction issues in Uganda and Sub-Saharan Africa region;
- Strong background in project planning and management;
- Extensive experience in project development especially in the areas of DRM and crisis prevention and recovery;
- Demonstrated abilities and contributions to policy and guideline formulation, resource mobilization, team leadership and management;
- Experience in establishing inter-organizational networks and partnerships at the operational level;
- Well proven analytical and writing skills;
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams;
- Ability to multi-task;
- Ability to travel to project sites as required.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Contract type: Service contract
Duration: 1 year
Post level: SB-4
Tag This Document