Main Purpose of Job
The Programme Officer-DRR would be expected to work as Roving Programme Officer DRR to integrate DRR activities at field level. H/She is also expected to coordinate with HPM for the long term preparedness, DRR and mitigation programmes in the areas prone to natural disasters such as droughts, floods, cyclone, earthquake etc. by building the capacity of communities living in those areas. H/She will ensure that DRR activities are carried out in an appropriate dimension in the field level to reduce the vulnerability to the natural disaster.
Brief description of the job:
The PO-DRR will be responsible to the HPM in Islamabad, on all aspects of the implementation of the humanitarian programme. These include Humanitarian Situation Analysis, Programme Development, Monitoring, Administration, and staff development. Representation of the organization and co-ordination with other players is key. The PO-DRR is responsible for actively liaising with UN agencies, NGOs, Government authorities and other partners in order to strengthen cooperation and solid partnerships. In particular, he will be responsible to develop, lead, and manage the delivery of QCs humanitarian plan in Pakistan as well as participate to streamline QC DRM policies and strategies.
Under the direct supervision of the HPM, the incumbent of the post will have the following responsibilities:
Management of humanitarian response and DRR work
1. Operationally manage humanitarian programmes across Pakistan and ensure that they are in line with strategic priorities
2. Ensure Humanitarian Response Policies and Procedures are followed for each humanitarian response and kept up to date at field level.
3. Coordinate with HPM to ensure that grant making takes place within agreed procedures, including project funding agreements and monitoring and that adequate clear administrative systems are maintained to support the work
4. Ensure Country Level Disaster Risk Reduction Plans(DRRP) updated on a regular basis
5. Provide technical support to Area/Regional Managers and Programme Coordinators for DRR
6. To ensure that all aspects of the disaster cycle including mitigation, preparedness and response are addressed in humanitarian programmes in field level.
7. To ensure best practices in all humanitarian programmes as per sphere standards
8. Conduct DRR related training in field office with demonstration
9. Conduct HVCA (Hazards Vulnerability Capacity Assessment) in fields
10. Conduct refreshers and trainings for Country Disaster Management Team as part of the preparedness plans
11. Assist HPM in development of proposal for institutional funding.
12. Develop strong coordination with other humanitarian agencies at DRR forum.
Contributing to the Departmental and Organizations Policy Making and Profiling
13. Assist in shaping, monitoring, communicating and overseeing the implementation of the departmental and corporate goals.
14. Provide assistance to HPM for developing policies and procedures for smooth operation of humanitarian programmes and the department as and when required
15. Promote and support the humanitarian departments commitment to inter-agency coordination by networking with UN clusters, INGOs, NGOs, government and other networks and stakeholders
16. To play an active part in cross organizational working/thematic groups
17. To comply with any policies and procedures that may be issued by QC
18. The post will require frequent traveling
19. To be responsible for the administration related to the above tasks directly or by supervising others.
20. To provide cover for the Supervisor as and when required
The post is based in Islamabad, with frequent visits to the field and to different offices for coordination.
Nature of Post:
The incumbent not only interprets guidelines, but contributes to the development of guidelines as the programme evolves. The incumbent is required to assess the most appropriate modes of action to accomplish the programme objectives.
1. A proven record of long-term vision and strategic planning as well as analytical/critical thinking skills.
2. Proven experience of humanitarian and development programming - preferably within a chronic conflict environment.
3. Proven record of effective human resources & financial management including the ability to coordinate donor reporting, as required by donors procedures.
4. Diplomacy, tact and representation skills
5. Excellent communication & capacity building skills
6. Ability to work flexibly, & meet deadlines
7. Commitment to the aims and objectives of QC, humanitarian principles and action.
8. Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity into program work.
9. Fluent English and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
10. Excellent writing and reporting ability.
11. Excellent proposal writing skills.
12. Good interpersonal skills to ensure effective working relationships with colleagues and external partners including governmental institutions.
13. Strong analytical and presentation (oral and written) skills including use of essential computer software packages.
14. The ability to meet deadlines, achieve results and work with minimal day to day supervision.
1. Education to a Masters Degree level.
2. At least 3 to 5 years experience in initiating and managing humanitarian projects preferably in the NGO sector; International experience is also needed.
3. Experience of working in a leadership position within a team structure; leadership skills
4. Proven skills in managing staff reporting to her/him; excellent coordination skills
5. Ability to link with other players in the development arena and represent QC effectively
6. Proven knowledge of computerized systems; high degree of computer literacy and word processing and spreadsheet skills essential
7. Ability to work under pressure, prioritize well and commitment to meet deadlines
8. Ability to travel extensively especially to remote areas
9. Experience in and the ability to train people
10. Commitment to the aims and objectives of QC
1. Thinking and understanding strong analytical and conceptual skills, proactive information gathering skills.
2. Capacity to work effectively with others, interpersonal awareness, able to influence others.
3. Drive to achieve results. Proven capacity to initiate and innovate
4. Adaptable and flexible. Organized to work effectively.
5. Able to support others and operate within organizational strategy and standards.
6. Able to lead, motivate & manage others
You are required to maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties assigned to you. Following this, you are required to demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Be honest and trustworthy
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be flexible
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
The HPM will be the first point of contact for all matters related to the humanitarian program planning and process; coordinating QC humanitarian Plan in Pakistan and reporting about it. In all contacts, the post holder will be required to present a positive and professional image of QC.
Tag This Document