The Hyogo Framework of Action (HFA) calls upon regional organizations with a role on DRR related to their mandates, priorities, and resources, including the promotion of regional programmes and establish regional collaborative centers to undertake research, training, education and capacity building in the field.
The United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) and the Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport (AASTMT) of the League of Arab States, under the chairmanship of the Executive Bureau of the Council of Arab Ministers Responsible for the Environment (CAMRE) and the Islamic Executive Bureau for Environment, jointly launched a Regional Centre for Disaster Risk Reduction on 4 March 2009, hosted by the AASTMT in Cairo.
During the Second Meeting of the Governing Board, the esteemed Members endorsed the proposed outline for a 3-year Strategic Business Plan 2011 – 2013 for RCDRR that was presented by the Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) of the World Bank.
The plan focuses on four clear lines of business aiming at achieving the RCDRR objectives. These four lines are: 1) Enable policy and planning for disaster risk reduction in the region, 2) expand education and training opportunities to build a culture of prevention in the region, 3) enable access to knowledge and practices relevant to the region, and 4) just-in-time advisory services.
RCDRR seeks to recruit a Programme Officer to work on the second business line entitled “expand education and training opportunities to build a culture of prevention in the region”, under the supervision of the Training and Education Programme Leader. The Programme Officer shall report directly to the leader.
Duties and responsibilities
DRM online courses delivery
• Assist in facilitation and coordination of other facilitators for delivery of the courses.
• Implement all the logistical support to the trainees coming to RCDRR.
• Responsible for the online course website design, maintenance and efficiency.
• Draft marketing and communication materials for Education programme.
• Coordinate and collaborate with the other two programmes and teams.
• Monitor the social networks related to the RCDRR courses.
Assist the Programme Leader on other activities of the Education Programme, including:
• Draft the DRM education and Training Work Programme.
• Implement the Education Work Programme under supervision of Programme Manager and his advices.
• Identify the potential universities in the region to integrate DRR modules in their higher and technical education.
• Identify the existing DRM curricula (fully and partly addressed in the universities in the region.
• Assist in the analysis of existing curricula to determine whether disaster risk issues are appropriately addressed.
• Assist in managing a task force to develop education modules, extra-curricular activities, courses and masters degree on DRR.
• Establish a regional specialized network for universities and educational centres.
• Develop a database as roaster of expertise and universities in the field of DRM in Arab and Islamic countries.
• Maintain and update the afore-mentioned database on regular basis.
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability and treats all people fairly without favouritism.
• Promote a knowledge on sharing and learning culture in the office.
• Ability to support the facilitation of strategic programme planning, results-based management and reporting.
• Ability to assist implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of DRM Education and Training activities, as well as create networks.
• Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills.
• Remain calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure.
• Working under pressure to accomplish tasks on-time.
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive and constructive attitude.
• Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
• Higher degree in education management, environmental science, meteorology, socio-political science, information technology or any relevant field. ( Experience in high education is desirable).
• 3 to 5 years of professional experience with relevance to the education sector (preferably in university teaching is desirable).
• Demonstrated proficiency in English and Arabic languages.
• Sound PC knowledge.
• Previous experiences in moderation and/or implementation of training courses is an asset.
• Familiarity with online courses is an asset.
• Very good communication skills.
• Sound organizational skills.
Tag This Document