United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Knowledge Management Consultant – Disaster Risk Management.
The consultant would be involved in knowledge management initiatives with the objective of capturing the current understanding and experiences in South Asia on various risk reduction initiatives including those related to earthquakes as well as in urban areas. Specifically, the consultant would be involved in developing several knowledge products including: (i) Synthesis Report on Earthquake Risk Reduction and Recovery Preparedness in South Asia, (ii) Publication on Urban Early Warning Systems, (iii) Publication on Disaster Risk Management Best Practices from South Asia, and (iv) Compilation of Urban Risk Assessment Case Studies. S/he will also be responsible for organizing as well as documenting the proceedings of a regional workshop on earthquake risk reduction and recovery preparedness in the South Asian region.
The consultant will work in New Delhi under direct supervision of Regional Disaster Reduction Advisor, South and South West Asia, Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery, UNDP.
Duties and responsibilities:
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Regional Disaster Reduction Advisor (RDRA). His/her duties and responsibilities will include the following:
Organizing a regional workshop
• Develop the concept note and the workshop plan for the regional workshop
• Provide logistical support in organizing the workshop
• Work in close consultation with all the UNDP Country Offices, and other participating agencies
• Document the regional workshop proceedings in the form of a workshop report
The two-day workshop would be conducted in New Delhi during July 12-13, 2012. The participants would include DRR practitioners, technical experts (including structural/earthquake engineers, architects, etc.), and decision-makers/ implementers at various levels of the government (especially, in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, and Pakistan). The workshop would be attended by representatives of the UNDP Country Offices of Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, and Pakistan, ERRRP Review team members, representatives from Government of Japan, ADRC, and other key stakeholders. It would also allow DRR practitioners from other regions with similar risk profiles to learn from South Asian experiences in earthquake preparedness and risk reduction.
The workshop would allow the participants to share information, learning, and good practices between the South Asian countries and identify partnerships and mechanisms for sustained exchange of learning. It would also lead to the development of a knowledge product capturing the lessons, challenges, and good practices related to earthquake preparedness and risk reduction in the South Asian region.
Development of knowledge products
Towards strengthening the existing knowledge base on disaster risk management in South asia, the consultant will develop the following knowledge products:
• Synthesis Report capturing the lessons, challenges, and good practices related to earthquake risk reduction and recovery preparedness in South Asia,
• Publication on Urban Early Warning Systems,
• Publication on Disaster Risk Management Best Practices from South Asia, and
• Compilation of Urban Risk Assessment Case Studies.
• Experience in conceptualization and formulation of programme and project documents related to disaster risk management in general, and earthquake risk reduction and/or urban risk reduction in particular
• Familiarity with knowledge management initiatives, and experience developing knowledge products and organizing workshops/events
• Knowledge of and experience within either regional/national disaster management and/or development initiatives
• Working familiarity with international and national agencies within the field of disaster reduction and/or international development
• Demonstrated work experience relevant to development and support of disaster recovery, mitigation, and/or development initiatives
• Knowledge of and experience in dealing with host country governments and local authorities
• Advanced University Degree in social sciences, disaster management, urban planning, or a discipline relevant to development and disaster risk reduction (DRR) Experience:
• Relevant experience in Disaster Risk Management and familiarity with Earthquake Risk Reduction and Urban Risk Reduction
• International experience in the region would be an advantage. Skills:
• Good facilitation and communication skills.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
• Good interpersonal skills and flexible attitude.
• Ability to liaise and work with people of different backgrounds and nationalities.
• Excellent working knowledge of MS Office-Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Sharepoint, Intra-Internet, e-mail applications etc. Knowledge of other applications such as Front Page, Publisher and some multimedia tools would be useful though not mandatory.
• Excellent written and spoken skills in English are a pre-requisite for this position. The position entails high-level written and spoken communication with senior government, UN, donor agency and NGO officials. The selected candidate will also be responsible for drafting project and programme documents related to funding and update/review reports, as well as other written communication for countries in the region.
Duration : Six months (20 June – 19 December 2012)
Tag This Document