Overview of organisation & assignment
The Central Bicol University of Agriculture has an extension campus in Pasacao, which focuses on veterinary, agricultural and biology related disciplines as well as education degrees. It is headed by a campus chairman under the direct supervision of the Dean of the Institute of Development Education.
At present, the campus has a total of 16 faculty members, three casual employees performing clerical and related functions and 16 on-the-job trainees performing different functions, six security guards, two drivers for two government vehicles, one mechanic, two utility electricians, one carpenter and four farm workers.
Overview of the program
CBSUA Pasacao Extension Campus is commencing a disaster preparedness program that will provide technical education and training to communities and students. Part of this program is to conduct research and assessment of the hazard areas of the town of Pasacao.
Overview of the assignment
The AVID volunteer will provide technical assistance on climate change impact, adaptation and mitigation strategies and in reducing the risks that the community faces through natural disasters. The assignment will involve working with counterparts to research and assess the area of Pasacao and develop training programs that can be delivered to students as well as community members.
Simulation exercises may also be developed to help train stakeholders on how to respond to a disaster, including evacuation and initial response measures.
Expected outcomes and key relationships
The key expected outcomes are:
• Increased awareness levels within the school (university) and the community on disaster risks related to climate change
• Enhanced skills within the school and community to prepare for and respond to disasters and/or to implement climate change mitigation strategies
• Disaster risk reduction and climate change education and strategies institutionalised in the community and school
Capacity building outcomes:
• Improved staff skills in designing and delivering strategies to increase public awareness of climate change impacts and disaster risk reduction strategies
• Increased community awareness of climate change impacts and disaster risk reduction strategies
• Improved capacity of school staff, students and community to sustainably mainstream climate change and disaster education within their communities
• Campus Administrator
Counterpart / other staff
• Designated Chairman of Research Extension, Production, and Entrepreneurial Development Affairs (REPEDA)
• Personal attributes
- Self-awareness and cross-cultural sensitivity
- Commitment to sharing knowledge and skills
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Resilience and ability to manage stress
- Patience and willing to work with others at their own pace
- Physically fit to travel to remote or rural areas
• Skills or experience relevant to assignment
- Experience working on climate change adaptation and/or education
- Experience in community-based disaster preparedness
- Tertiary qualifications in environmental science, natural resources management, disaster management or related field OR equivalent experience
Any further attributes, experience, skills or qualifications that are desirable
• Experience developing and delivering training for community members and students
• Experience or training in disaster management/emergency responses
Location and facilities
CBSUA Pasacao is located in a rural area, 27.3 km away from Naga City. The place has a suburban atmosphere. Pasacao is located on a bay and has some resorts that attract mostly domestic tourists. There are some beautiful beaches in the area.
The school is the only college that offers a degree course in the area. CBSUA Pasacao is a small school with poor facilities but improving through the efforts of diligent, hardworking and even-handed campus staff. It is located 100 metres away from the main road and slightly isolated from the business centre of Pasacao proper. The school has computers, landline, printers and an internet through LAN services, a library, an administration office and a new concrete building constructed for the Bachelor of Elementary Education (BEED) students.
The volunteer will be provided a table and chair in a room equipped with an electric fan and other simple amenities and some office supplies, just enough for the volunteer to carry out the task. The workplace is also staffed with friendly personnel.
Camarines Sur is a province in the Bicol region, one of the disaster prone areas in the Philippines. The region experiences persistent typhoon risks because of its location.
• Quarterly review with the In-Country Manager
• Will be invited to attend team meetings with office staff
• Will function as a part of the faculty of Central Bicol State University of Agriculture (CBSUA Pasacao extension campus)
Duration: 9 months
Proposed start date: October 2012
Tag This Document