The Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Africa and Asia (RIMES) is an international and intergovernmental organization, owned and managed by its Member States. RIMES provides regional early warning services and builds capacity of its Member States in the end-to-end early warning of tsunami and hydro-meteorological hazards.
The Climate Scientist, reporting to the Director, RIMES Program Unit, shall undertake validation of RIMES’ customized WRF model for improving quality product delivery to RIMES Member States; guide the establishment and supervise the operation of the regional platform for sharing of meteorological and hydrological data; collaborate with the hydrology unit in developing demand-based flood forecast products; develop and apply suitable tools for communicating climate risks; guide, direct, and manage data assimilation research; undertake climate research for providing more user-relevant weather and climate information; plan for, guide and supervise expertise development in the region on long-lead weather forecasting; prepare project reports; and contribute to scientific paper publication based on RIMES experience and project outputs.
• Doctoral degree in atmospheric science or related discipline, with expertise in climate dynamics and climate modeling, and working knowledge in general circulation theory and coupled ocean-atmosphere dynamics
• At least 5 years experience in climate modeling; demonstrated experience in advancing complex projects with interdisciplinary team of scientists
Skills and abilities
• Solid programming skills in R, FORTRAN, and MATLAB;
• Solid statistical skills, including regression and correlation analysis;
• Familiarity with manipulating and visualizing large data sets;
• Interest in tool development;
• Demonstrated applied research skills;
• Excellent English proficiency in communication, presentation, and report writing;
• Ability to produce technical reports on deadline
• Highly motivated and self-directed;
• Excellent inter-personal skills;
• Ability to work in a team;
• A creative problem-solver;
• Strong desire to learn and undertake new challenges.
Remuneration and benefits
• Monthly base salary negotiable, commensurate with qualifications
• Housing allowance
• Health, life insurance
One-year initially, renewable for longer term on excellent performance
Tag This Document