Job opening number: 12-PGM-UNISDR-23196-R-GENEVA (X)
Org. setting and reporting
The Chief will provide timely analysis and strategic/ policy guidance to the Director and Senior Leadership Group; manage and coordinate the workplanning, programming, monitoring & evaluation (M&E), operational support coordination and reporting processes of the UNISDR secretariat; and supervise the various units and staff that comprise the Resource Management Section(RMS)/Executive Office (i.e. Administration & Human Resources Unit, Budget & Finance Unit, and M&E and Operational Support Unit).
Planning, monitoring and evaluation
• Manages and coordinates the results-based management (RBM), workplanning, programming, monitoring & evaluation, operational support and reporting processes of the UNISDR secretariat.
• Oversees the management of resources and reporting on funds, as well as the ongoing monitoring and analysis of RBM and delivery, and provides regular updates to the Senior Leadership Group (SLG) of which he/she is a member, UNISDR programme monitoring/ management committees and UNISDR Donor and Support Group Meetings.
• Provides policy advice and technical support to senior management on evaluation issues; establishes mechanisms to monitor organizational evaluation requirements and serves as the focal point for external evaluations.
Finance and admin oversight
• Supervises and oversees the work of the different units and staff that comprise the Resource Management Section/Executive Office; fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the Unit/ Section; coordinates programmatic/ administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of RMS.
• Prepares timely analysis, provides policy guidance to the Director and the SLG (on budgeting, financial and human resources, general administration and management information issues and practices), and develops forward-looking strategic proposals on conceptual strategy development and implementation of the UNISDR Strategic
Framework 2012-2025, biennial work programme, and relevant policies and procedures.
• Guides and supports the Director in the development and implementation of the administrative and financial framework.
• Ensures coordination and coherence of approaches to service delivery and promotes quality assurance of the services provided by RMS.
Operational project management support
• Provides guidance to the secretariat on policies and standard operating procedures related to strategic planning, programme, project and resource management, and RBM.
• Oversees programming-related processes; chairs the UNISDR Grants Committee and assists the Director in convening the Monthly Programming Group; advises project managers on the formulation, appraisal and implementation of projects with the aim of enhancing capacity and improving delivery of results.
• Actively engages with peers to solicit best practices in resource and programme management and suggests modalities for immediate replication to the UNISDR work setting.
• Coordinates inputs of Resource Management Section/ Executive Office to interim, annual and biennial reports. Member of the Strategic Leadership Group
• Participates in the UNISDR Senior Leadership Group and Monthly Programme Group; represents UNISDR in task forces and at inter-agency meetings, seminars, etc. on resource management and related partnership initiatives/ issues; participates in international, regional or national meetings and holding discussions with representatives of other institutions on behalf of the Director regarding the UNISDR Strategic Framework and biennial work programme.
• Performs any other duties requested by the Director.
• Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks.
• Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction.
• Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization's strategy and the work unit's goals.
• Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation.
Planning & organizing
• Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
• Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
• Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
• Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
• Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
• Uses time efficiently
• Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments
• Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards
• Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules
• Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments
• Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
• Serves as a role model that other people want to follow
• Empowers others to translate vision into results
• Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support
• Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions
• Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo
• Shows the courage to take unpopular stands
• Provides an environment in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion
• Manages in a deliberate and predictable way
• Operates with transparency; has no hidden agenda
• Places confidence in colleagues, staff members and clients
• Gives proper credit to others
• Follows through on agreed upon actions
• Treats sensitive or confidential information appropriately
• Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly
• Gathers relevant information before making a decision
• Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them
• Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization
• Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information
• Checks assumptions against facts
• Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision
• Makes tough decisions when necessary
• Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in business, public administration, finance, economics, law, development, international relations or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in programme management and development, administration, budget, finance or related field.
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
• A competency based interview and an essay exercise.
• Extension of the appointment is subject to the availability of the funds.
• Staff members of the United Nations Secretariat must fulfill the lateral move requirements to be eligible to apply for this vacancy. Staff members are requested to indicate all qualifying lateral moves in their Personal History Profile (PHP) and cover note.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Tag This Document