Job Opening number : 12-PGM-UNISDR-23080-R-ALMATY (ALMA ATA) (X)
Org. setting and reporting
This post is located in the UNISDR Regional Liaison Office in Kazakhstan.
• Ensure overall management of the UNISDR liaison office for Central Asia and the Caucasus (CAC).
• Develop, implement, monitor and evaluate the workplan including resource mobilization, budget and other administrative aspects, define strategic priorities, identify problems, issues to be addressed and solutions, coordinate the work carried out by the office and ensure that the output meets required standards.
• Manage Central Asia and Caucasus(CAC) staff performance.
• Build strategic partnerships for broad and focused cooperation in line with the office work plan and Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA) priorities: identify common goals and outcomes, develop institutional collaboration and joint activities through memorandums of understanding (MoUs), letter of agreements and joint work plans, and organize joint ministerial sessions, regional dialogues, workshops and events to strengthen national capacities towards local action.
• Enhance coordination and collaboration among stakeholders (UN system, multilateral and bilateral donors, Inter-Governmental Organizations, Governmental national and counterparts, Non-Governmental Organizations and civil society organization) in addressing disaster risk reduction (DRR) and climate change adaptation (CCA) in CAC; Facilitate resource mobilization processes for UNISDR-CAC
• Provide substantive support as secretariat to Regional Forums for Disaster Risk Reduction, with an emphasis on the Regional Centre for disaster risk reduction (DRR) established in Kazakhstan and other key regional disaster risk reduction initiatives.
• Provide support to national platforms and regional network of national platforms.
• Represent UNISDR at events and meetings, ensuring that DRR is reflected in the relevant processes and outcomes, and provide policy advice on DRR as requested.
• Advice UNISDR on issues concerning CAC, and work in collaboration with the various sections of UNISDR to deliver the biennium workplan.
• Ensure that news and events are clearly communicated for regional and international dissemination.
• Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to disaster risk reduction.
• Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues and problems Teamwork:-Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals-Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others-Places team agenda before personal agenda
• Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position-Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
Planning & Organizing
• Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies-Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required-Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work-Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning-Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
• Uses time efficiently
• Serves as a role model that other people want to follow
• Empowers others to translate vision into results-Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support
• Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions-Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo
• Shows the courage to take unpopular stands
• Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly
• Gathers relevant information before making a decision-Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them
• Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization
• Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information
• Checks assumptions against facts-Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision-Makes tough decisions when necessary
• Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in development, environment, social sciences, economics or related area.
• A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in national, regional or international level in disaster risk reduction, disaster management, programme management or related field.
• Fluency in English and Russian (both oral and written) is required.
• A competency based interview and an essay exercise.
Extension of the appointment is subject to the availability of the funds.- Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Tag This Document