To strengthen Oxfam's humanitarian role in Haiti (priority 1 country) by developing a humanitarian strategy to address both short and long term needs, managing emergency response and early recovery projects/programmes and to assess and build capacity of Oxfam and partner staff, in line with regional and organisational objectives.
• Leads, coordinates and delivers agreed plans or strategies over which the job holder has some strategic input.
• Represents OGB as the humanitarian lead affiliate in Haiti: coordinates meetings with the Humanitarian Coordinators of the other affiliates in the country and with key UN agencies and humanitarian INGOs.
• Impact and influence of the job is mostly within the job holder’s own programme unit (ie country/region) but occasionally also in other parts of the affiliate and/or with an external audience.
• Plans and manages the resources of one or more sub-units, though not normally over a broad spectrum of programs or geographies.
• Specific competencies and skills are required to achieve the job’s objectives eg geographical, thematic, managerial.
• Provides specialist advice or specific skills to their team or programme unit.
• Develops plans and objectivesto contribute to country, region and broader programme strategy in collaboration with other programme units (e.g. other affiliates in-country or colleagues in different country programmes) or departments (e.g. head office).
• Analyses and communicates complex information to a wide audience.
• Decision-making requires making sound judgments based on technical and management experience, actively supported by line management or the programme team.
• Management tasks are complex and non-routine within their specialist unit or function.
• The focus of the role will vary over time but has well-defined targets and/or minimum standards, and is both proactive and reactive.
• Requires management of large teams and funds as a result of emergency response interventions
• Lead on humanitarian strategy development and implementation, ensuring integration of ARR work in both emergency responses and longer-term humanitarian programmes.
• Work closely with programme colleagues to develop good linkages and strategic plans related to Oxfam’s humanitarian, preparedness, reconstruction and developmental programme elements.
Programme development, including emergency programmes
• Lead on needs and impact assessments
• Report in a timely fashion with proposals for Oxfam's response, including recommendations on longer-term humanitarian actions and links to rehabilitation and Disaster Risk Reduction.
• Ensure a strategic approach (short term and long term) to programme development, taking into account and building upon country objectives and priorities, including the link between humanitarian response, ARR and the reconstruction and development programme.
• Work in close collaboration with the other Oxfam affiliates in and as a lead agency within the Oxfam International framework
• Ensure that the Oxfam responses to natural disasters are delivered in a timely manner and in line with the scale of the disaster,
• Work in close collaboration with national and international actors involved in emergency preparedness, response, early recovery and reconstruction.
• Ensure adherence to Oxfam management, financial, HR and logistics procedures
• Ensure proper and timely reporting on donor and Oxfam grants to the Programme
• Develop and ensure implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems.
• Communicate regularly with staff on key issues, challenges, and programmes, not just in Haiti but also with the humanitarian leadership in the region and also in Oxfam’s Humanitarian Department.
• Recruit staff according to Oxfam policies and procedures
• Ensure crosscutting issues (gender, protection, HIV/Aids, accountability) are incorporated into programme design and implementation of both short and long term humanitarian programmes.
• Lead the development of an exit strategy and office/project closure and all related activities.
Representation and communication
• Represent Oxfam in relevant meetings and fora
• Support development and implementation of advocacy strategies linked to the emergency response, future preparedness, and reconstruction.
• Lead on evaluations of the humanitarian programmes and ensure learning from the programmes is captured and disseminated accordingly.
• Coordinate with long term development programme
• Ensure effective communication about programme impact with stakeholders within and outside Oxfam
• Lead the development and review of country contingency and preparedness planning.
• Conduct assessments of Oxfam and partner staff capacities and make recommendations for building strategic capacity in coordination with the regional humanitarian team
• Design and implement capacity building activities for Oxfam and partner staff. These could include training, on-the-job-training, coaching, mentoring, simulations etc.
• Undertake basic training for staff and relevant partners on humanitarian principles and Oxfam ways of working in emergencies
• Provide technical support, where required, to existing local partners and institutions in emergency programming and emergency response.
• Evaluate Oxfam and partner staff capacities before/after capacity building
Skills and competence
• A minimum of 3 years field experience in emergency and development programme management in 3 different countries, preferably with non-government organizations and a good understanding of relevant humanitarian and policy issues.
• Proven experience in leading and coordinating Rapid Needs Assessments, and starting up emergency response projects.
• Sound knowledge and ability to apply NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, SPHERE, Oxfam International procedures and other regulatory codes.
• Sound knowledge and proven practical experience in designing and implementing capacity building activities, including capacity gap assessments, coaching and mentoring.
• Knowledge and experience of integrating disaster risk reduction in emergency responses.
• Experience in developing strategies and innovative approaches to humanitarian work and reconstruction in the short, middle and long term
• Knowledge an d experience with gender issues and strengthening the role of women in humanitarian and development programmes .
• A proven record of effective project and people management.
• Knowledge and understanding of monitoring and evaluating programmes and capacity building activities.
• Analytical and strategic planning skills.
• Proven numeracy and financial management skills as well as proven proposal and report writing skills.
• Proven influencing and negotiating skills with internal and external audiences
• Capability of integration in and coordination with existing Oxfam country teams, Oxfam International as well as with Oxfam partner organizations and support their needs, adaptable and flexible.
• Confident representation skills.
• Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
• Excellent teamwork skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally.
• Good written and spoken French and English is essential
• Willingness to travel at short notice, often in difficult circumstances and availability to work for up to 6 weeks in any one location.
• Experience in working in insecure environments and managing team security.
• Demonstrable understanding and experience of gender equity issues and their relevance to humanitarian response work.
• High level of self-awareness, good communication skills, patience and willingness to assume supporting role.
• Ability to take the initiative and make decisions with limited support in fast moving environments.
Fixed term, 2 years
Tag This Document