Under the overall authority of the Director of IIEP and the immediate supervision of the Head of Technical Assistance and Sector Planning (TASP) Team, and in close collaboration with the other part time Programme Specialist and the Assistant Programme Specialist working on C/DRR, the incumbent will undertake the following tasks:
• Manage ongoing and forthcoming training programmes related to the integration of conflict and disaster risk reduction into education sector planning. This will imply the development and delivery of training materials for distance and online courses as well as specific training materials for country specific contexts.
• Manage technical assistance programs in a number of countries affected by crisis (in particular discussion with ministries, development agencies and other partners; coordination of in-house preparations; reporting).
• Maintain oversight of the revisions, production and promotion of publications related to C/DRR. In particular for the period of the contract this would imply responsibility for the finalisation and coordination of the revision of the ‘Guidance Notes to integrate conflict and disaster risk reduction into education sector planning’.
• Represent IIEP on the Education Cluster Working Group (ECWG) and complete tasks for its Capacity Development Task Team. This work may involve negotiation with country offices where clusters are formed to support ministries of education to integrate conflict and disaster risk reduction into education sector planning.
• Plan and organize briefings, debriefings, workshops and meetings and present the crisis prevention programme to visitors at IIEP.
• Manage and maintain oversight of programme budgets, develop funding proposals and support fundraising activities where appropriate.
• Perform other duties at the request of the Director and Head of TASP.
Post-graduate qualification or higher in education or in a related field
• Minimum ten years’ experience working on issues related to the field of education and development, including in emergencies and conflict and disaster risk reduction.
• Strong knowledge of educational planning and management, especially in conflict, emergencies, reconstruction and fragile states
• Strong knowledge of the humanitarian and development communities, including governments, donors, NGOs, the UN system and relevant international organizations
• Experience in development and delivery of training materials including for C/DRR
• Experience of working in collaboration with ministries and development partners on technical assistance programs.
• Excellent training, presentation, public speaking and advocacy skills.
• Initiative and ability to learn quickly and on the job.
• Excellent coordination, management, negotiation and supervisory skills.
• Very good skills in communication.
• Good ability to work productively in multi-cultural teams.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Willingness to travel regularly on mission.
• Excellent spoken and written English. French is also desirable. Fluency in another UNESCO official language would be an additional advantage.
Duration: 9 months
Salary: US$ 40 803,66 without deduction for medical coverage and pension contribution to a pension fund) + post adjustment of approximate 50% of a basic salary which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates. Salary is tax exempt.
Tag This Document