To provide high quality technical assistance to the various aspects of the Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) efforts of Concern Haiti through applying internationally accepted DRR standards and best practices
Main duties & responsibilities
- Advise on the implementation of the DIPECHO funded DRR intervention in urban Port au Prince and on the island of La Gonave applying internationally accepted DRR standards.
- Increase awareness on the need to mainstream DRR into programs and enhance Concern Haiti capacities on how to mainstream DRR throughout all programmes (starting from designing to evaluation), as well as use the mainstreaming tools/toolkit in the daily work of individual projects.
- Provide technical support to the project manager and his/her team in two locations and ongoing capacity building to Concern staff on DRR
- Manage two KAP surveys: design, manage implementation, compile data, analyze and write report
- Design and facilitate relevant DRR related trainings (internal and external)
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings with partners, local and national government and international humanitarian community in close coordination and collaboration with the project manager, CD and ACDs.
- Develop and write Concern Haiti’s Preparedness for Effective Emergency Response PEER Plan via a participatory process and including the DPC and other relevant stakeholders.
- Provide DRR technical input in other Concern program areas (WASH, Rural Livelihoods, etc) and
- Support ongoing process of risk assessment in Concern programme areas including assessment of additional (prevention & mitigation,) preparedness, response and emergency/early recovery needs in the food security, education and water sectors and assist in the development of proposals if needed.
- Provide technical input into reporting and monthly updates
- Ensure increase of understanding and operational skills of partners for mainstreaming DRR into partnerships.
- Increase capacity or develop strategy to undertake advocacy, promote awareness, for local officials on Mainstreaming DRR into decision making process and development work in community
- Ensure all implementation is according to HAP standards
- Ensure adherence to Concern’s Programme Participants Protection Policy
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Assistant Country Director Programmes or Country Director
- Fluent French or Creole
- A postgraduate qualification in a discipline related to development (DRR, Gender, Human Rights, Community Development, and Development Management etc.) or a graduate qualification with significant relevant experience.
- 3+ years experience in the planning and implementation and evaluation of disaster risk reduction interventions
- Experience in DRR interventions in urban and rural contexts (experience with coastal communities a plus)
- Experience working in partnership with national/local NGOs, governmental and other civil society actors; and Red Cross/Red Crescent affiliates
- Practical experience of the application of PRA/PLA/HCVA and other risk assessment and planning tools;
- Practical experience in conducting and assessing community led simulation drills
- Experience in designing community based DRR communication materials (posters, radio messages, animation, etc)
- Computer literacy;
- Facilitation skills
- Good communication, interpersonal and networking skills;
- Ability to work under-pressure and handle multi-tasking situations;
- Proven ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Commitment and flexibility to work in remote field locations
- Commitment to working towards the transformation of the lives of the poor
- Strong people management and team-building skills
- Confidence, interpersonal and representational skills
Contract details: 12 months, Unaccompanied, Grade B
Tag This Document