Vacancy No: 2011-133-fld
Purpose of position:
The DM Delegate will assist national societies and delegations across the zone to develop and strengthen their disaster preparedness capacity to respond to disasters in an effective and efficient manner and to reduce the impact of disasters on people/communities most at risk through prevention and mitigation. This will involve strengthening the capacity of national societies at local as well as head quarter levels, contingency and response planning, and establishing a link with the Disaster Risk Management team.
Description of Duties:
1. In close collaboration with the Americas Disaster Response Coordinator, ensure a holistic approach to DM through links with the DRR programming, including climate change, food security, urban risk reduction and the consistency and consolidation of national society systems, procedures and methodologies.
2. Support in collaboration with the Disaster Risk Management teams, national societies staff and volunteers through technical advice or training in all aspects of their disaster management programming.
3. Develop with National Societies and in full coordination with Disaster Risk Management Team and other Disaster management delegates in different regions in the Zone innovative approaches to:
a. contingency planning;
b. assessment in emergencies;
c. National and Regional Intervention teams;
4. Facilitate programme monitoring, including regular financial and narrative reporting as well as innovative lesson learning, and evaluation based on programme plans.
5. Work with the DR and the DRM colleagues across the zone to contribute to the global disaster management agenda, specifically around knowledge management.
6. Increase knowledge of the Federation policies, guidelines and other quality standards tools to assist national societies and zone DM representatives in the development of capacity and programming efficiency.
7. Support the PADRU DR Team in the programming, annual planning and budgeting and project proposals according to PADRU mandate.
8. Facilitate the work of external consultants, researchers and others as agreed with the programme mangers.
9. Together with DR team representatives, ensure lessons learnt and good practice from national societies programming are compiled and used to improve future planning, programming and implementation, and that they are shared across the zone for wider dissemination.
Duties applicable to all staff:
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Secretariat's goals.
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Red Crescent principles.
- Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager.
Bachelors degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant area (for example, disaster management, environmental or development studies). Recent training course(s) in disaster management or environment.
- 3 or more years work experience in a related area, in particular in response and preparedness for response.
- Demonstrated participatory assessment, vulnerability and capacity assessment, training, and programme planning experience
3 years providing training and facilitating workshops, preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in programme and office administration.
- Experience within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Good knowledge and understanding of disaster management.
- Good professional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of International Federation policies and procedures.
- Excellent computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and Lotus Notes.
- Ability to use own initiative and problem-solving skills.
- Fluent spoken and written Spanish and English.
- Fluency in French preferred.
- National Society Relations.
- Results Focus & Accountability.
- Professional Mastery.
Tag This Document