Safeguards coordination work in China
The successful candidate will be spending her/his time as “Safeguards Focal Person in Beijing Office” and responsible for the following tasks:
Safeguards Review and Clearance
- Manage safeguards review and clearance process for select category ‘A’ projects in China.
- Undertake the review and clearance of safeguards documents prepared during project implementation as well as those resulting from project restructuring and/or additional financing.
- Participate in PCN and PAD-stage reviews for all China projects and guide the Task Teams in meeting the requirements for clearance.
- Participate in PCN, QER and appraisal stage decision meetings for select China projects and provide inputs to management and task teams on environmental and social sustainability and safeguards related discussions.
- Consult with Regional Safeguards Advisor, LEG and OPCS on any special issues of policy interpretation.
- Monitor full and timely disclosure of safeguards documents through China PIC.
General Guidance on Environmental and Social Sustainability and Safeguards Application
- Provide advice to country, sector and task teams on management of safeguards applications and procedures.
- Support the CMU in the process of risk identification and risk management with respect to environmental and social sustainability and safeguards, including monitoring of safeguards supervision and development of strategies for management of risky and sensitive projects in China.
- In collaboration with the SD safeguards coordinator, mentor and guide environment and social development specialists working on environmental and social sustainability and safeguards issues in China program.
Staff Training and Client Capacity Building
- Identify qualified national institutions and individuals in China who can be drafted to carry out environmental and social sustainability and safeguards related work in Bank-financed projects.
- Implement country-wide and sector specific thematic supervision and reviews.
- Lead, or support relevant analytical work (AAA) relating to improved attention to environmental and social sustainability and application of safeguards policies and monitoring and evaluation of domestic sustainability and safeguards practices.
- In collaboration with the SC safeguards coordinator organize periodic training for Bank safeguards staff and consultants working on environmental and social sustainability and safeguards in China projects.
- In collaboration with relevant operational units in SD, advise on priority areas and identify opportunities for client capacity building.
Overall program management and administrative support
- Develop annual work program and budget for carrying out the above described tasks in China.
- Work closely with the Safeguards Secretariat in HQ and serve as backup to the Regional Safeguards Advisor as requested.
- Participate in regional reviews, programs/studies and other activities as requested.
The successful candidate depending on her/his background and field of expertise will be expected to spend part of his/her time in providing advice to operations and related AAA tasks in China and rest of the region regarding environmental and social sustainability and safeguards. Although independent, the successful candidate will be encouraged to liaise closely with other SDD colleagues. While specific responsibilities and tasks will be developed depending on the specialization of the candidate selected, broad areas of responsibilities will include the following:
- Provide advice and cross-support (work as a member of the project task teams) on environmental and social sustainability and safeguards to projects delegated to Sector Management Units (SMU), on request from task teams.
- Assist SMUs, SD or HD in safeguards review (if requested) of delegated projects.
- Participate in other regional tasks or projects in other countries as TTL or as a member of the Task Team or other tasks assigned by the Environment/Social Development Sector Managers.
The successful candidate will be reporting to the Regional Safeguards Advisor for all tasks related to safeguards review and clearance. On all technical matters, she/he will report to the HQ based Sector Managers in the field of her/his specialization.
- Advanced degree in economics, engineering, science or social sciences; expertise on "environmental and social sustainability" in addition to safeguards.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience (preferably in Environment or Social Development and candidates in these sectors/streams are strongly encouraged to apply).
- Proven ability to integrate issues of social and environmental sustainability (including but not limited to safeguards) into operations.
- Extensive practical knowledge of safeguards policies and experience in their direct application to operational work.
- Proven ability to articulate the development rationale for safeguards and a commitment to implementing the policies in a manner which is both pragmatic but fully respects the intent of the policies.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate safeguards with senior within senior levels of Bank management and senior level government counterparts.
- Proven ability to exercise sound judgments in a work environment with tight processing constraints.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, especially direct experience in team leadership, project or program management.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, and diplomatic skills, and the ability to effectively negotiate and achieve balanced solutions to complex development problems.
- Experience with the planning and conduct of training programs for external and internal audiences concerning safeguards.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Tag This Document