Project Concern International (PCI) is currently seeking a DRM engineer for its scope of work under PROSHAR (program for strengthening household access to resources), a USAID Office of Food for Peace (FFP) funded multi-year assistance program (MYAP) being carried out by ACDI/VOCA in partnership with PCI in Bangladesh.
The project’s goal is to reduce food insecurity among vulnerable rural populations in Khulna division. PROSHAR’s objectives include:
1) increase incomes of poor and ultra poor households
2) improve health and nutrition of women and children and
3) strengthen the resiliency to shocks and their long term impact.
PCI will be primarily responsible for the latter two objectives, under the technical leadership of ACDI/VOCA. PROSHAR will empower communities through an integrated approach to food security by providing household members with the tools they need to improve their food security and facilitating linkages between donor, government and community activities to deepen impact and sustainability.
The DRM engineer will be responsible for planning, implementation and technical supervision of all structural engineering activities related to reducing vulnerability to shocks and stresses, and responding to emergencies. This includes the improvement of housing stock, embankments, reduction of erosion, construction and repair of structures used for emergency shelters, and improving storage of clean water, for example. He/she will be responsible for coordination and collaboration with local stakeholders, including government ministries, Upazila and Union representatives, CPP, shelter management committees, LNGOs, community leaders and contractors, for example.
S/he will work closely with PROSHAR’s local implementing partners to build their capacity reducing vulnerability to disaster will organize workshops and trainings for partners and other stakeholders, and participate in emergency preparation and responses.
- In accordance with CRAs and community risk reduction plans, support PROSHAR partners in all engineering-related strategies to reduce risk.
- Monitor and evaluate the technical quality of all engineering aspects of PROSHAR partners’ activities related to reduction of vulnerability and disaster response.
- Identify and contribute to best practices in risk reduction and emergency response activities from Bangladesh and abroad, for adaptation and testing in PROSHAR target communities.
- Facilitate the assessment of key infrastructure associated with preparation, prevention, mitigation and response to emergencies, including evacuation shelters, dams, embankments, and water/grain storage infrastructure, for example.
- Assist in preparing of monthly, quarterly plan, yearly activity plan, multi year plan, budget, schedule, different reports etc.
- Develop and/or contribute to existing guidelines for the construction, management, and maintenance of critical risk reduction and emergency response infrastructure, such as shelters and embankments.
Minimum qualifications, experience, skills and abilities
- Diploma in Civil Engineering.
- At least 5 years work experience in engineering projects related to risk management, water and sanitation, shelter, house construction/ fortification, or related infrastructure.
- Experience in emergency response and familiarity with the normative principals and best practices in the field of humanitarian assistance.
- Proven experience in organizing trainings/workshops and building the capacity of communities, NGOs, and other stakeholders.
- Capacity to oversee the coordination and collaboration with government ministries and other local counterparts, and guarantee all project-related infrastructure meets national standards.
- He/She must have a valid motorcycle license.
Tag This Document