Action for the Rights of Children (ARC)
This comprehensive package for children’s rights contains seven foundation modules. Introductory slides provide an overview of the module. Each topic includes valuable training exercises and handouts.
Particularly relevant to disaster risk reduction are:
Foundation Module 1: Understanding Childhoods (Section 3 – The impact of emergencies on children and families and Section 4 – Programming for resilience)
Critical Issues Module 2: Education. Other modules on participation, advocacy and community mobilization are also valuable. Exercises and handouts support learning. Specific physical and environmental risk reduction measures are not elaborated.
Training material for each modules covers five topics:
1. The issue for children - includes handout on Natural Disasters and their initial impact.
2. The law and child rights - includes exercise and handout with summary of INEE minimum standards
3. Assessment and situation analysis - includes role playing exercises.
4. Planning and implementation - includes an exercise in Emergency preparedness and disaster risk reduction drawing distinctions between the two.
5. Monitoring evaluation and learning.